Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Image Conscience


I visited a high school today.  The experience started out as dull as that sentence.  I see dozens of high school for work and they all look the same. However, fighting against the grain of monotony stood a champion of all things unique who's presence punched average square in the jaw.

I arrived in the middle of an early class period and walked the halls, empty save for a few loitering kids and the teachers hunting them, and was greeted by a gentleman in a shirt and tie who seemed happy to have me there.  His appearance and welcoming demeanor (the receptionist I checked in with must have had eye lids made of lead because she never once looked up even after I said hello) suggested that he was someone important around campus.

Throughout the day I saw counselors, teachers and coaches in casual clothing, so I figured the guy in business attire was well above their pay grade.  You can imagine how shocked I was when I saw him spend four lunch periods holding a broom and dustpan.  The man in the shirt and tie wasn't the principal; he was the janitor.

I've never completely neglected personal appearance.  However I must admit, khakis stay in my regular rotation while any actual dress pants might as well be encased in glass marked "break open only when they're making you wear them".

I always thought that "dressing for the job you want" sounded nice on paper but would lead to awkward moments.  Think along the lines of a fry cook showing up for his lunch shift in a tuxedo.
The overdressed janitor, to his credit, changed my view.  My perception of him and the influence he carried was completely shaped by his intentionally professional appearance.

We only had a brief exchange, but what if something more had been at stake?  How much of an advantage would neat attire play in a more meaningful situation?  Does the immediate respect garnered by those with kempt looks, good eye contact and a firm handshake open the door to conversations that lead to breakthrough?  Phillipians 4:9 says "And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus."  I believe God provides opportunity, but we have a responsibility to maintain readiness for receiving such favor.  I don't want to risk losing a blessing because I didn't feel like ironing.

Don't let the networking opportunity you've been praying for go to someone else who took time to brush their hair.  Don't be shocked if your potential husband/wife walk right past because you walked out the house with chapped lips and ashy elbows.   Admittedly, unrelated biases are often at work and many of them are out of our control.  That's why it's important to take something that we can personally handle, like appearance, and do our best to stay on top of it whenever possible.  Your breakthrough could hang in the balance.