Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Taking back your soul while keeping your paycheck


I recently interviewed my co-workers about their first job experiences.  The results were varied and as I expected, pretty entertaining.  You can check out their responses (and my hosting skills in 2015) in the above video.


Ever since taking my first job, I've always wanted to win the trade with work.  My battle isn't with a particular company or boss, but the idea of work- spending up to 60 hours a week of your time performing tasks that make other people money in exchange for a little bit of scratch for yourself. 

In light of this, I don't believe in"dream jobs".  There are some that are better than others, but the moment you allow someone to give you money for any task, you're largely beholden to their wishes if you want to get your end of the bargain met.  

It's a transaction, plain and simple, but far too often we end up giving up a lot while not getting as much in return. We willingly exchange our time and skills but sometimes also sacrifice our health and relationships to make sure the deal goes through.  

Here are my ideas on how to even the ledger.


Don't let your money use you.


When I was hired as a Rides Attendant at Six Flags, my 16 year old mind focused on all the new stuff I could do like go to movies, pay for dates and buy new clothes.  At 26, it's the opposite.  I need money so I miss out on stuff I don't want to experience like going broke or canceling Netflix.  It's a battle we all fight as working evolves from a privilege to a responsibility. 

Fight back by ensuring that the money you earn is spent intentionally.  Pay bills but don't let remaining cash flow get meaninglessly absorbed, especially on work related expenses (example: eating out for lunch because you didn't make time to pack one from home).

It also helps to spend time actually enjoying what you've bought.  I lived in my first apartment for months before I took one Saturday to just chill in the place, taking in the peace and solitude that my rent money bought each month.

Diversifying spending habits is similarly beneficial.  Think of it as a food pyramid.  One really important area (living costs) will consume a great deal of it, but that doesn't mean you completely shut out other things.  You wouldn't only eat bread and pasta, right?  Make space for purposeful saving for something like a vacation, retirement or emergency fund.  Allocate a little bit of money towards something fun- i.e., the stuff that made you want to start working in the first place.  

Find the awesome people in your office. 


We all know that people are sometimes the worst thing about a job.  On the flip side, they can also be the best.

I've worked places that were insufferable, save for a few great coworkers.  Identifying those people and investing in relationships with them can turn forced office interactions into life changing dialogues.

Shared interests, experiences and ideas can turn your office mate into a genuine friend. Authentic relationships that extend beyond work are also better for networking.  The jobs I've gotten based on an inside lead weren't from people I worked at a job fair, but from those I had already established trust with based on similarities that had nothing to do with work.  Seek those and reap the mutual benefits.

Your current job can help you land your dream job.  


None of my adult jobs have had a direct correlation to what I studied in school, and that's not by design.  Despite this, I've found a way to incorporate responsibilities in each position that further my professional goals and interests.

As a college recruiter, I revamped our office's social media portfolio.  By the time I left, I'd added a student position specifically for social media and was leading a large component of the department's overall communication plan.

Neither of these responsibilities were a part of my position when I started.  I recognized how they not only addressed an internal need, and also got me working on projects I cared about, and made sure they were as much a part of my job as anything else.  It put my goals in line with the company's.  That's synergy any reasonable boss will support.

---

Follow me @PhlyinBryan